DiscoverE brings the excitement of science, technology, engineering and math into your classroom! We deliver curriculum-based in-class field trips to schools in Edmonton area (year-round) and throughout Northern Alberta and the Northwest Territories (May & June).
A list of DiscoverE's engaging Classroom Workshops can be found below, along with the relevant price list. Please note that workshop availability may vary in remote and rural communities.
Workshops in the Fall & Winter (September - April) are offered based on availability. Workshops in the Spring (May & June) run Monday to Thursday. We offer workshops in French, click here for more information on our French Workshops.
|Half-day booking (2 workshops)
||1 instructor team
|Half-day booking (4 workshops)
||2 instructor teams
|Full-day booking (4 workshops)
||1 instructor team
- SoundShapes and Senses - Students will learn how to observe the world around then by looking for shapes and using their senses- just like a scientist or engineer! Take home: robot puppet
- Learning to Build- This workshop highlights breaking objects down into basic shapes and analyzing the purpose of each part. Take home: catapult
- Needs of Animals and Plants- This workshop highlights the difference between domesticated and wild animals as well as the requirements for plants and animals to maintain life. Take home: self-watering bean plant
- Boats and Buoyancy- Students will analyze the buoyancy of different objects as explore how to make non-floating objects float. Engineering challenge: popsicle stick boat that holds a certain weight"
- Small Crawling and Flying Animals- Students will explore the differences between insects and non-insects, looking at the different types and different techniques used by these animals. Take home: small crawling or flying animal model
- Sound- This workshop highlights vibrations, volume, pitch, the difference between sound travelling through solids, liquids, and gases, and how the humans hear sound. Take home: popsicle stick kazoo
- Structures and Design- This workshop highlights the pros and cons of various building materials, strong shapes, and the design and purpose of different types of bridges. Engineering challenge: popsicle stick bridge that spans a certain distance
- Light and Shadows- Students will explore the difference between luminous and non-luminous objects, shadows, colour, and reflection. Take home: periscope
- Simple Machines- Students will dive into the world of engineering by looking at wedges, inclined planes, screws, levers, wheels and axles, and pulleys. Engineering challenge: use simple machines to move a block of wood across a desk
- Classroom Chemistry- This workshop explores states of matter, phyiscal and chemical changes of materials, and signs of a chemical reaction. Experiment: baking soda and calcuim chloride chemical reaction
- Electricity- This workshop highlights static and current electricity, conductors, insulators, resistors, and circuits. Take home: conductivity testing circuit
- Evidence & Investigation- Students will solve a mystery by analyzing fingerprints, ink (chromotography), handwriting, and footprints.
Mystery: who is the owner of the winning lottery ticket?
- Flight- Students will explore air pressure, Bernoulli's principle, and how planes fly. Take home: paper glider
- Sky Science- This workshop highlights the sun and how its light is seen on Earth, the moon and its phases, and stars and their constellation groups.
Take home: planisphere
- Heat and Temperature- This workshop explores the particle model of matter, change of state, thermal energy, temperature, and heat transfer. Engineering challenge: design and build a thermos that retains heat
- Light & Optical Systems- Students will explore reflection, refraction, mirrors, and optical devices. Take home: spectroscope
Workshops offered in French
Please contact our office if you would like to have a workshop delivered to your class in French. In the Spring term (May & June), we are able to deliver almost all of our Classroom Workshops in French!